Events regarding the situation of the coronavirus in Guatemala:
March 14, 2020:
- President Dr. Alejandro Giammattei has decreed, based on the “State of Calamity” that as of Monday, February 16, the following regulations will come into force:
- Classes are suspended in public and private schools, colleges and universities for the next 21 days
- All sporting events will be conducted behind closed doors.
- All religious activities suspended
- All meetings, public or private, with an influx of more than 100 people are prohibited
- Employer fairs suspended
- National Hospitals will process all samples of suspected cases free of charge
- IGSS must receive any patient suspected of having COVID-19
- The free number 1540, in addition to 1517, is enabled for inquiries related to the coronavirus
Ministry of Health enables call center for inquiries related to coronavirus
March 13, 2020:
- No se cancelan espectáculos deportivos o culturales, eventos, ni la asistencia a la escuela. President Alejandro Giammattei announced, in a press conference, that these activities can continue to develop normally. However, the entry of citizens of El Salvador, Korea, Japan, China, Italy, France, Spain, England and Iran is prohibited, as well as the entry of cruise ships. Citizens. Likewise, the same prohibition comes into force for citizens of the United States of America or Canada as of Monday, March 16.
- Primer caso confirmado coronavirus en Guatemala. The patient and his family arrived from northern Italy on an Aeroméxico flight. They were immediately transferred to the Specialty Hospital in Villa Nueva, specially authorized to treat patients with the coronavirus.
March 12, 2020:
- Habilitación del 1517: The Minister of Health, Hugo Monroy, announced that number 1517 has been activated. The toll-free number was enabled to provide information on the coronavirus and to receive alerts about possible cases.
March 06, 2020:
- Decreto de “Estado de Calamidad”: President Alejandro Giammattei declared a state of calamity due to the risk that the spread of the virus in other Central American countries such as Costa Rica, Honduras and Panama implies for Guatemalans.